I know "Bitter Gourd" is not something that everyone has taste buds for, when I was in school I used to hate it too, but now it is one of my favorites!
Especially looking at the health benefits it has. This recipe is infused with sweet and mild fennel flavor and also has a spicy flavor to it!
So here it is...
Bitter Gourds - 2 Medium
Onions - 2 Medium
Crushed Fennel Seeds - 1 Tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 Tsp (or as per Taste)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Light Olive Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Peel the bitter gourds and cut into two length-wise. Discard the seeds.
- Apply salt generous to it and keep for about an hour. This will reduce the bitterness quite a bit.
- After that thoroughly wash the bitter gourd and cut into thin slices.
- Chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the crushed fennel seeds, add onions and bitter gourd.
- Cover the pan for about 10-15 minutes and cook on medium heat so that the bitter gourd is tender.
- Add chilly powder and turmeric powder. Remember you marinated it in salt so no need to add any now.
- Open the lid and cook on high heat stirring in between for about 25-30 minutes till the bitter gourds are nice crispy and brown.