Make it Monday - Let's Sew
Kitchen Hand Towel Redo
Turn an ugly dollar store hand towel to something really cool by using left over fabric scraps!
Use any fabric of your choice floral, gingham, patterned or solid to make it pretty!
What I had was a 40" cotton towel so I cut it into two and made two towels out of one. I didn't have to hem as the open end was sewn with the fabric. Don't forget to hem the towel first if you cut a piece from a larger towel.
If you have just one piece it is fine you can start at step 4.
- Cut the towel into two pieces. (pic 1)
- Take one piece. (pic 2)
- Cut a rectangular piece from the scrap fabric of your choice. Hem on all sides.
- Lay it towel flat and make pleats. (pic 3 & 4)
- Your pleated towel should be equal in length to the shorter side of your hemmed fabric rectangle.(pic 7)
- Pin the towel to the fabric and sew. (pic 8 & 9)
- Either put a loop and sew the other side of fabric with towel by folding over. If you wish to hang the towel using the loop. (pic 11)
- Or put press buttons on the inside of the opposite flap of the fabric. (pic 12)
- I also had a piece of left over border from the fabric, so added that as an extra detail, you can add ribbon or lace instead. (pic 13)
- Your towel will now dry easily and with a nice fall look much more elegant!
- You can do the same thing for bathroom hand towels too!