Make it Monday: Recipe - Glazed Sweet Hot Cross Buns
Easter is just Around the corner!
What would be more wonderful than the awesome aroma of freshly baked buns on a lovely Spring Afternoon!
Hmmmmm.................... I bet you can smell it right now!
I remember the small bakery in our home town, whenever we would pass through it I was hard to miss out the mouthwatering aroma of fresh bread!
Well it is hard to sometimes find such pleasures in hustle bustle of big towns, So I tried my hands on Hot Cross Buns and they turned our great (Shh...the third time),
So here they are,
Home-made Glazed Sweet Hot Cross Buns...
Or If you want to leave the Glaze, they are still awesome...
Believe me they are easy to make and once you try fresh bread you will forget those store bought ones!
Here you go:
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Luke Warm Milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Sugar Glaze (Optional)-
2 Tbsp Fine Powdered Sugar + Water
- Add Sugar to the Luke Warm Milk, add yeast wait for it to be foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add Salt and Oil to the Flour and mix.
- Once the yeast is fluffy, slowly add it to the flour and make smooth dough.
- Keep kneading till the dough is nice non-sticky, silky smooth and elastic. You can a bit more milk if the dough is not of desired consistency.
- Once done, place in a large bowl, cover with cling wrap and keep the dough in a warm place for about 1.5 Hrs to Rise. (*You can preheat the oven slightly make it warm.)
- Prepare the baking tray by lining with Baking paper.
- Once the dough almost doubles, divide into small balls, leaving a little dough aside.
- Arrange on the baking tray.
- Now roll out the remaining dough ball into a sheet, cut into stripe and make crosses on the buns.
- Keep the buns for about 30 Mins more.
- Preheat the oven at 375 Degrees F or 190 Degree C.
- Bake for about 15-18 Minutes on center rack, till the buns are slightly golden.
If you wish to Glaze them:
Take the Sugar Powder and add enough water to make a thick paste, microwave for 30 seconds, brush it over the warm buns.