Do you like Indian Food?
Being from India, I absolutely love Indian food. But I prefer home-made since I know how to cook and I also love cooking. Most our Chinese/American friends think that everyday Indian food is what you get in the restaurants......all that very spicy and a bit oily stuff, which tastes good but is too rich. Well the fact is our everyday meals are quite light and healthy,but of course it is a bit spicy:)
Okay that on one side, eating Rich and Spicy Indian dishes in moderation is perfectly okay. Today's recipe is NOT light rather it is Spicy and maybe a little hot too!!
Spicy Eggplant Curry - Indian Style...
Baby Eggplant: 7-8 Pieces, make two cross slits from base leaving the heads on
Potatoes: 2 Medium Sized, halved & diced
Onions: 2 Medium, Finely chopped
Ginger Paste: 1 Teaspoon
Garlic Paste: 1 Teaspoon
Tomatoes: 2, pureed
Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp
Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp
Salt: To Taste
Canola Oil: 3 Tbsp
Chopped Cilantro: To Garnish
- Heat Oil in a pan, add chopped Onions, fry till they are nicely golden brown, cook on medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, fry for a few minutes till you get a nice aroma.
- Take about 1/4 cup water and add all the powders to it, add this to the fried mixture.
- Reduce the heat and fry it till you see Oil separating.
- Add the tomato puree and again fry for a few minutes till the tomatoes blend in nicely.
- Add the potatoes, eggplants, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Cover the pan and cook till eggplants are tender and done.
- Garnish with Cilantro and Serve hot with flat bread or naan.