Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Feature- Elizabeth from Silkiness.Etsy.Com

Hello…
Hey. My name is Elizabeth and I am an American living my life way far from home in Latvia, Eastern Europe. It is here I learned to paint on silk. I also met and fell in love with a Latvian man and so am living a very different life than the typical American one.

My Craft…
I began painting silk as a hobby to have gifts for friends. Then people started wanting to buy them. I then opened a shop on Etsy and am excited to sell my scarves, ties, hats and earrings there. Painting is also a fun way to relax while my 2 toddlers are napping- I enjoy the quiet.






My Inspiration…
I am inspired by almost anything around me; colors, textures, nature, travel and new experiences. I love putting the things I have seen into my paintings. One of my latest scarves is a Parisian Collage- inspired by a week spent in Paris.

My AHA moment of being an Artist…
I have always been doing something with my hands: sewing, drawing, scrap-booking, cake decorating. But my earliest memory looking back of my artistic nature was when learning math. Rather than concentrating on the numbers I would be turning them into people- drawing eyes, mouths and hair. I've always been a doodler- the beginning of all my art is a doodle.

My Creative sides are ignited by…
I feel most like creating when I sell something. It is such a feeling of success to know someone else in this big world likes what I made.

My Masterpiece/s…
My peacock collection:




Apart from Crafting …
Cooking, baking, sewing, music, nature, reading, spending time with my family.

When I am busy creating …
I enjoy doing as many things at once as possible. I listen to music while painting, or watch films. Sometimes I just paint- the process is relaxing (most of the time).

In ten years I would be…
Contining to raise my kids and teach them all that is most important in life. Painting when I can and teaching English or maybe a combination of both.

Places to look for me…
http://www.etsy.com/shop/silkiness
http://silkiness-eli.blogspot.com/